Council Logo

Planning FAQs

What costs are involved when applying for Planning Permission?

A fee is usually required when you submit a planning application and you can find out more using the scale of fees for planning applications[pdf - 111kb].

A site location plan based on an Ordnance Survey map extract to show the application site boundary is needed when you apply. We can supply copies for this purpose and this will cost £25.00 (but note this fee will be £26 from 1 October 2015).

You will also need to have plans prepared to show your proposals, the cost of which you will need to agree with your plan-drawer. There may also be a need for you to submit other information, such as a bat survey, tree survey or land contamination assessment. To find out more go to how apply for planning permission.

Back to top

How long will it take for my planning application to go through the system?

We aim to determine householder applications and minor planning applications, for example new shop fronts or small commercial extensions, within eight weeks. For major planning applications, such as 10 or more houses or commercial development over 1000 square metres, we aim to determine these within 13 weeks.

Back to top

Can I check if a decision has been made on my planning application?

You can check the progress of a planning application online using Planning Explorer or you can call the case officer.

Back to top

Have there been any objections to my planning application?

You can find out by calling the case officer who is dealing with your application.

Back to top

Do I get my fee back if my application is refused?

No. The fee relates to cost the processing of the application regardless of the decision.

Back to top

What happens if my planning application is refused? Does an appeal cost anything?

There is no fee for making a planning appeal and these are dealt with by The Planning Inspectorate, based in Bristol, not the council. You can find out more about the appeals process on the Planning Portal

Before making an appeal you may wish to discuss with the case officer if there is any scope for alterations to your proposal that may make it acceptable.

Back to top

My deeds say that my neighbours and me cannot do certain types of work to our properties. Can the Council still grant planning permission for such work?

Covenants and restrictions on deeds are a civil law matter not part of public planning legislation. If a proposal is granted planning permission this does not override any private legal agreements that may affect the site or the development, such as covenants.

Back to top

What other consent do I need as well as planning permission?

This will vary depending on the circumstances of your property and the type of work that you are proposing to carry out. The most common other type of consent is Building Regulations Approval. Also, if your house is an ex-Council house, you may need the Council's consent under the terms agreed when the Council sold the house and you should write to the Head of Legal Services at South Shields town hall. You can find out more about other consents you may need at Planning Portal: Your responsibilities.

Back to top

What is the Local Development Framework (LDF)?

The Local Development Framework (LDF) is our current spatial development plan for South Tyneside, also known as the Local Plan.  Finalised in 2012, its planning policies and proposals will guide the future development and use of land and buildings in the borough over the next 10-15 years, providing the basis for assessing all planning applications. 

The LDF comprises a portfolio of statutory Development Plan Documents:

  • Core Strategy (adopted July 2007)
  • Development Management Policies (adopted December 2011)
  • Area Action Plans - South Shields Town Centre & Waterfront (November 2008), Central Jarrow (September 2010) and Hebburn Town Centre (October 2008) 
  • Site-Specific Allocations (adopted April 2012)

plus supporting guidance set out in a series of Supplementary Planning Documents. 

The Local Development Framework (LDF) is being reviewed over the next few years in the form of a new-style Local Plan.

See Local development plan

Back to top

Useful websites